Hearing loss can affect anyone, at any age, that's why at Athens Hearing and Balance Clinics, we provide comprehensive hearing evaluations to people of all ages, from newborns to seniors. We have three clinics located throughout northeast Georgia in Athens, Monroe and Lavonia to provide you with outstanding hearing healthcare.
For our youngest patients we perform the following hearing tests:
- Otoacoustic Emissions Testing - by using a tiny probe, placed just inside the ear canal, this test measures the echo when clicks or tones are played into the baby's ears.
- Auditory Brainstem Response - this test is used on infants and young children to test the cochlea (inner ear) and brain pathways by placing electrodes on the head when the tiny patient is at rest and doesn't require any type of behavior response.
For older children and adults, we can conduct more extensive hearing tests, including:
- Electrocochleography – is an objective test used to aid in diagnosing Meniere's disease and other disorders. The test measures the electrical potentials generated in the cochlea in response to sound stimulation.
- Tinnitus Evaluation – many people experience occasional ringing/buzzing/humming in the ears. But when it becomes persistent or begins to affect your quality of life, you need to have it evaluated. We will help diagnose tinnitus, in hopes of discovering and eliminating its cause. We also offer management techniques.
- Videonystagmography – is designed to test inner ear and central motor functions and is used to determine the cause of dizziness/balance disorders. This type of hearing evaluation includes assessment of the eye movement systems, positional testing, and direct evaluation of the ears.
Hearing loss can be caused by common medications, both prescription and over-the-counter. Any drug that has the potential to cause a toxic reaction to the inner ear is referred as ototoxic, and there are currently over 130 medications that fall into this category. At Athens Hearing and Balance Centers, we also offer Ototoxic Monitoring. This type of hearing test, which can be performed before, during or after taking these potentially toxic medicines can help determine the progression of Ototoxic Hearing Loss.
Don't let hearing loss, dizziness or tinnitus to control your life. Allow our expert, caring staff at Athens Hearing and Balance Clinics to help you live the life you deserve to live.